Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008


Happy Mother's Day to all the moms reading this! I'm so thankful this year for our two amazing boys and for a lazy day enjoying them at home. Little Benjamin's birth and recovery has reminded Jerry and I just how out of control we are in life and how merciful God can be even when He doesn't have to be. I'm humbled more than ever this year at the sacrifices made and love my own mother has for my sister and me. I definitely see her through new eyes in this new season of life.

Jerry and I also celebrated our 7th anniversary this weekend. Thank God for a patient and sweet husband during all the ups and downs of this year. We celebrated both Mother's day, our anniversary and our newest little boy by having a talented photographer and friend, Jessica Chapman, come take pictures of our family (including our dogs Samford and Sydney). This is one of the pictures but you can see more (and Jessica's other beautiful work) at www.jessidesignstudio.com


An update on Benjamin this week...we went back to Children's hospital on Thursday for a retest of his hearing. He failed his left ear hearing test when we were in the hospital the first few weeks after he was born. On Thursday he failed the left ear again using two different tests. They are confident the right ear is functioning normally which is a huge blessing. A unilateral hearing loss (just one ear) should not cause any developmental or speech issues. But there have been studies that show that the use of a hearing aide in a child with unilateral loss does have great benefits but they recommend being fitted for an aide before they are 6 months old. We will be heading back for a test a week from Monday to see what degree of loss he has.

2 comments:

Carla Jean said...

Beautiful picture of your family! (Love the dress, Mel!)

Please keep us posted on Benjamin...

Jessica said...

Mel, thanks for the shout out! My site is:
www.jessidesignstudio.com

I loved spending time with your family yesterday. It was a joy for me indeed!